Cheese!

Cheese!

Water baby

Water baby

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Baby Love

Mia's 8th month was dedicated to building up her immunities, as they say. She fought a cold much of the month and, since she doesn't love taking naps at daycare, she suffered a bit of sleep deprivation. Josh and I ensured her that we knew how she felt.
This wicked cold that wouldn't quit was happy to set up shop in Mia, myself and Josh at various points throughout the month and it seemed that we all just kept passing it back and forth to each other, despite our persistent hand-washing. We continued the hot steam showers and cranked up the humidifier, but little could be done to battle the faucet of a runny nose. Fortunately, Mia's little spirit went largely unaffected. We were amazed at how happy she remained when she didn't feel good. I know I complained way more than she did!
The beginning of February marked my full-blown return to work, and I believe it's true what they say about having more compassion when you have a child of your own. As I look out over the sea of all my 160 students, I have a new perspective. I see them all as someone's child and I know that someone out there worries about them and cares for them in a way I never really understood before. Fortunately, they are all understanding of my need to absolutely fly out the door after school as I respond to this magnetic pull toward home I feel come the end of my work day.
Mia has adjusted beautifully to daycare. While her nap schedule is a bit of a challenge (she really hates to miss out on anything), she is happy when she's there. Josh says she dives to the floor to begin playing when he drops her off. She loves the teachers and is getting to know the other babies. And now that Spring is coming, she gets to go out on walks in the 4-person stroller. I've come home and seen them out and about. It's hillarious.
Mia's current favorite toys are things that twang. She loves plucking the strings of the uke or the guitar. She loves twanging the door stoppers. She loves twacking the plastic strip on the refrigerator, which will likely break off any day now. Speaking of the fridge, she loves standing in it, peering over her food options. I can't help but imagine her in about 13 years, standing in front of a fully stocked fridge mumbling, "Mom, there's nothing to eat."
Mia has officially gone on her first bike ride. The first sunny day of the year came and we immediately packed up and headed to the bike shop to purchase Mia's first helmet. We packed her in the bike trailer and went for a ride around the neighborhood. She was happy for about 90% of the ride and seems to be keen on trying it again. She's also taken a spin on her BTV tricycle in our driveway. Super fun.
Mia's first Valentine's Day was quite a success. She received Valentines in the mail and was in her first school concert. She happily rode around in a wagon with the other babies. Josh videotaped it for me and said she was a star (I would've been there, but I was being tortured at 8th grade parent night). Our neighbor, Kelly baked us chocolate treats and homemade candies and Grandma Marla made sure we had heart-shaped cookie cutters to bake V-Day cookies.
Mia is growing stronger everyday and is experimenting with standing unsupported. She still loves pawing at Jake and she tolerates Reggie's constant attention. Meal time is still one of her favorite times of day and she seems unsatisfied until she's had her cheese course. Quit the gourmet already! Daddy fixed her a delicious mix of mushrooms, thyme and barley which she chews up with all four of her teeth. Yes, she has four teeth. No they are not in all in a row. We like to refer to her as Baby Snaggletooth on occasion.
Other favorite foods include chicken, oatmeal, plums, peaches, edamame with yogurt, quesadillas, sweet potato squares, and peas.
The weekends cannot come fast enough for our family. On about Tuesday night we start planning and plotting all the fun things we want to do with Mia when work isn't getting in the way. Despite all our big plans to go out and venture into the world, we often find ourselves enjoying slow mornings that allow us to just be with the sweetest of all the peas.
Mia loves to be held. She hasn't really displayed signs of separation anxiety from her parents, but if you are caring for her for the day, she wants you close by! Gramma referred to her as "ivy" one day after Mia insisted on exercising her clinging muscles. Gramma did not complain! Josh and I are so happy that Mia seems to be so happy with such a large number of people. She has developed a strong sense of trust and clearly feels good with the people who care for her.
Mia is growing and changing daily. She is stronger today than she was yesterday and grows more curious of the outside world every time the sun peeks out from behind the clouds. She loves music and is starting to feel the rhythm when we bust out the beats. Gramma was teaching her NIA, which she liked, but, in order to ensure that she honor the family's NE PDX roots we'll have to contract Auntie M to teach her some hip-hop moves before long.
This family is ready for Spring! We are ready to be done with cold and flu season and ready to have the doors and windows open to enjoy the sweet smell of daphne blossoms and flowering cherry trees. Mia is geared up for playtime outside and is looking forward to the adventures that come with the changing of the season.



No comments:

Post a Comment